Thursday, February 13, 2020

Inside, Outside--Creating Art Everywhere!

Inside Outside
We work on our art projects in all kinds of places . . .

Above:  We  get together to work on our art, sharing our ideas.

     When the weather is rough--too cold, too hot, too wet, we head indoors to work on our art projects.  But when the weather is just too beautiful for words, we paint and create in our outdoor spaces.

     And so it was in the past few weeks.  Sometimes we worked indoors and sometimes outside.  One of our recent project is our Shabbat tile hot plates.  The Morahs "found" some stunning Italian porcelain tiles, stored away with other art supplies.

     The main question the children had was, "Who went to Italy to get these for us?"  Chances are the tiles were purchased at Home Depot for a previous art project, and then the surplus was stored away.  We love gifts.  We also know how to recycle, reuse and repurpose--so we went to work!

     First, we made a template of our design on paper with regular watercolor markers.  Some us chose a Shabbat theme, candles and a Kiddush cup.    Most of us decided to illustrate flowers, rainbows, a variety of colors.  When we were satisfied with our design. we then worked on our actual tiles.  We used permanent Sharpees.

Above, making our design on paper.

Side by side, we work on our tiles. 

     As always, when we work, we engage our friends and Morahs in some discussion.  We shared some of our thoughts:

Sam:  This is the prettiest blue.
Adom:  I can put a Kiddush cup.
Liana:  I want to put a Kiddush cup, too!  It took a long time (to make.)
Yaya:  I made a rainbow purple and blue!
Sloan:  I want to make a rainbow panda for my mommy and daddy and my baby and my grandma and my grandpa.
Leo:  It's a dog going into a waterfall!
Jake:  I made a line first.  My mom likes a tile!
Gaia:  I used purple and pink.
Hudson:  I'm going to draw so my mommy will love it.
Yonah:  It's almost like studying, because you're copying the same thing, like computers or a copier machine.  (Later, asking about his tile)  If I have a Milchig drink can I put it on a fleishig table?
Amiel:  (It's) for Kiddush!  It's a rainbow and it's already done.
Levi:  I'm making this for Shabbos, if my Kiddush cup spills!
Avraham Chaim:  First I'll help Hadassah turning over her car (on the playground.)  (After helping his sister, he worked on his tile.)













     We worked in small groups.  All of a sudden, a group of children came running by the tile makers!  Morah Jessica was leading them to get more art supplies from the kitchen for a group project the children were working on in the Third Building.   She called out, "We have a glitter emergency!"  They solved their art problem, then went back to work.  

     "I have your back!" 

     Later in the week, the children continued to work indoors on their group art project.  They helped each other with smocks.  We know that when we work with acrylic paint like real artists, we have to protect our clothing.  And like artists everywhere, we can't wait to share our art with our families and friends!

Arts and Crafts outside--making bracelets with buttons and beads.

Stay tuned for more info about Art in Extended Day . . .

 By the Morahs and the Artists in  Extended Day

No comments:

Post a Comment