Thursday, December 1, 2016

It's Everywhere--Formal and Informal Learning . . .

  

(Pictured:  before the fall break, we took a photo of our "dolls", resting comfortably under a "blankee."  We're Kitah Gimmel!)

     Sometimes we have formal sit-down discussions.  After the fall break, we spoke about all our recent happenings:  where did we go, what did we do, who did we see.
     Here are some of our comments:
Caleb:  I went to Fernbank Museum.
Maddy:  I went to Washington to see Charlotte.
Ezra:  I went to Pittsburgh
Annabelle:  I went to my grandparents and a museum.
Sammy:  I went to Fernbank Forest.
Yinon:  I played with my three sisters.
Evan:  I went to Bubba's house.
Annika:  I played with my sisters.
Becker:  I went to Charles' house up the road, and to Briley's house down the road.
Lily:  I went to my aunt's house and I played.
Yannai:  I did a picnic!

     And where was Anslee?  Anslee was visiting relatives in South Africa!  She sent us an email with a few photos attached.  She also sent us a postcard by "snail mail."  We're still eagerly awaiting that postcard!  (Below, a pic of Anslee and Reed at a mailbox in South Africa. We miss Anslee, and we're looking forward to seeing her very soon!)
     We have casual discussions, as well.  During lunch, we noticed the sign on our inside wall.  It says, "WELCOME."  What does that mean?  We're learning that "Welcome" means, "Come on in."  That's what we say when we have a visitor at the door, and that's what we say when one of our friends wants to join us in an activity in the room or on the playground.  When the Morah spoke about Avraham and Sarah welcoming guests, we called out, "Come on in!"  That's the message!  Then, we noticed the actual letters in the word "WELCOME."

     The children shouted out, "C is for Caleb!"  "L is for Lily!"  "M is for my mommy!"  Later in the week, we worked with our alphabet stamps.  We can do it . . .many of us can find the initial letter of our name.

     So much is going on.  Guided discussions, spontaneous talk, noticing the alphabet and connecting a Parsha lesson with our day-to-day reality.  It's all part of life in Kitah Gimmel.

Morah Susan and Morah India

No comments:

Post a Comment