Tuesday, October 31, 2017

What Do We Talk About When We Talk About Shabbat?

  We knew that a special Shabbat was coming up.  
(Above:  Leah and Eli use the pipettes.  We know how to squeeze the bulbs to bring up the grape juice.  Then we release it on our cloth.  We're creating our own tie-dye Shabbat tablecloth.)

     Of course, Shabbat is always special, but this time around, we were getting ready for a group Friday night dinner.  For many of us, the Shabbat Project means it's time for us to get-together at IJP, enjoy each other's company and celebrate Shabbat together.
Our tablecloth is finished.  After we dripped grape juice onto the cloth with the pipettes, our Morah gave it a spritz of some permanent dye.  We will be able to enjoy our tablecloth for a long time!
(Above: We pounded some grapes with a mortar and pestle--Emmett shows off his home-made grape juice!)
(Above: Eliza, gets a closer look at our Shabbat web.)

                                         So, what information about Shabbat did we share?

We know a lot about delicious foods!  Avraham Chaim and Harper told us about challah. Avraham Chaim also enjoys meatballs and carrots.  Dalia told us about chocolate milk and string cheese.  

And what do we like to do?  We had quite a few things to say about how we spend the day:
  Menny:  going to shul,
  Leah:  playing with my baby brother,
  Gabi:  playing with my mommy and daddy,
  Eli S.:  Playing Duck, Duck, Goose with Mommy and Daddy,
  Ben:  going to Aunt Tova's.
  Eliza: going to my Bubbie's

And we spoke about customs and rituals.
  Shane, Dalia, Emmett:  the Blessings!
  Eli L., Dalia, Sylvia:  the Shabbos candles,
  Annabel:  drinking the grape juice,
  Maddy:  touching the Kiddush cup.

We shared other information, too.
  Shane:  I put on fancy clothes and my kippah and go to shul in the car.
  Eli L:  I put on fancy clothes and take a bath and go to shul and then make Kiddush and Havdala.
  Ezra:  I put on my clothes with my brother, and my mommy gets dressed for Shabbat and goes to listen to     the rabbi's speech.
  Harper:  I light a candle 'cause I'm a big girl and then I play outside.
  Rafi:  I play with my brothers and then I go to the guests and bring them inside.
  Shayan:  I go to Ezzy's house to play a little bit and then go home and get ready (for Shabbat.)
  Asher:  my mommy gives me a shower.
  Logan:  I eat my challah.
Above, Emmett and Shayan prepare their challah for our communal Shabbat program.
After we pound our dough, we place it in our baking pans.  Then comes the important part:  choosing our special toppings!   (Dalia, Leah, Ezra and Eli choose their toppings.)
(Avraham Chaim, Logan and Harper working together.)
 We prepared beans for Shabbat. Everyone takes turns cutting the tips off the beans.  Our Morah gives us individual attention.  (Above, Leah and Menny cut beans.)
 We prepared our green beans early on Friday morning.  We wanted them nice and fresh for our Friday night dinner.  (Above, Dalia takes her turn at the table.)
 We take our time, we don't want to rush.  (Above: Shayan, Rafi and Emmett are careful with their plastic knives.)
 (Above, Avraham Chaim and Ben prepare their beans.)
 Harper, Eliza and Maddy are focused on their work. Sitting with our friends gives us time to socialize, as well as learn a new skill.
 (Above, Annabel slices off a bit of her green bean.)
 (Above: Gabi listens to a buddy as he works.)
Asher knows how to hold the veggie with one hand while cutting with the other.
(Above: Shane prepares his beans.)
 Notice the raised shoulders?  That's some serious concentration!  Sylvia is hard at work.
 The look of success!  Eli shows himself to be a capable sous-chef!

Fondly, The Morahs and all the Shabbat-loving yeledim of Kitah Gimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment