Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Special Rosh Hashannah Prayers of Three Year Olds

     We enjoy gathering together during our Circle Time.  We sing, we chat, we share information.  Last week, we sat down to learn about the basic Rosh Hashannah concepts of Tefillah (prayer), Tzedaka (charity), and Teshuva (repentence.)  All these terms were expressed in child-language--and even a three-year old can relate to these ideas! 

       Yesterday, we spoke about our relationship with Hashem, G-d.  This is the time of year when Hashem is particularly close by, like a King warmly visiting everyone in his village.  What would we like to personally ask of Hashem?  This is the essence of our Rosh Hashannah  prayers.  And what is prayer like when you are three years old? Some of our ideas are very pragmatic, others are somewhat lofty.  (Much like adults' Tefillot!)

     The children shared their thoughts:
Annabel:  I want to clean up with my Mommy.
Asher:  I want to play with Mommy with my toys.
Avraham Chaim:  I want to have a birthday party with Goldie with a pretend rocket ship.
Ben:  I want to read a lot of books.
Dalia:  I want Hashem to hug me and kiss me.
Gabi:  I want to play with my garbage truck.
Eli L:  I want Hashem to build the Bais Hamikdash.
Eli S:  I want to play with Riva.
Eliza:  I want to play with all my friends.
Emmett:  I would like Mommy and Daddy to play with me.
Ezra:  I want to cleanup my room.
Harper:  I want to eat candy and ice-cream.
Leah:  I want to help clean up.
Logan:  I want to be happy.
Rafi:  I want a lot of birthday parties.
Maddy:  I want to take care of baby Delilah.
Menny:  I want to play with my cook Lego toys.
Shane:  I want to see how firemen put out fire.
Shayan:  I want to play with Mommy, Daddy, baby Nori and my Latte.

     We enjoy our discussions, but we're not all talk.  Our Rosh Hashannah conversations lead us to some very hands-on activities.  Yesterday, we prepared delicious honey cake.  Why?  We know that we are asking Hashem for a sweet New Year.  What could be sweeter than honey?


     (Above, we learn about bees and honey from an authentic bee keeper . . .the Bee Lady shares info about her bees, and all of us get a close-up look.)


L'Shana Tova Tikatevu
Have a Happy, Sweet New Year!
The Kitah Gimmel Morahs--along with the sweet Gimmelniks

No comments:

Post a Comment