Thursday, October 6, 2016

Remembering Rosh Hashannah . . .And What's Next?


      After every significant event, we like to sit down and have a chat.  What did we do?  Where did we go?  Who did we meet?  What did we eat?
      And after a major Jewish holiday--even more so!  We have so much information to share.

     The week before Rosh Hashannah, we set up a Rosh HaShannah table (above, Anslee adjusts the candles while Evan looks on.)  We heard the Shofar and we ate round challah.  On the Friday before the holiday, we cut-up a pomegranate to experience all the seeds and to give it a taste. We know that so many foods are "symbols" (our new word!) We want a good, sweet year full of mitzvot.

     So when we came back to school after Yom Tov, we spoke about our experiences.  What did we say?

Here are some of our thoughts:
Lily:  I heard my sister's Shofar.  I know the sounds!
Ezra:  I ate round challah.  My mommy made honey cake.
Yannai:  I dipped the apple in the honey.
Caleb:  I ate lots and lots and lots of plain challah!
       Lily:  pretend?
       Caleb:  No, real!
Anslee:  I like the challah.
Yinon:  Challah!
Evan:  I go to my Bubbie's house with my cousins, and when they were about to go, I leaved!
Sammy:  I heard the Shofar two times, and I had a blue bracelet and I was in the class with my sister.
Annabelle:  I go to my grandparents, and I gave tzedaka.  I gave poor people food and money.
Becker:  I heard a real Shofar!
Maddy:  I love that!  I liked the apples and challah.  I didn't like the honey.
Annika:  I heard the Shofar with my Mommy!

     And what's next?  We are learning about Yom Kippur and the Story of Jonah.  That story tells us that HaShem is everywhere!  

      We know that it is a big mitzvah to give Tzedaka, especially this time of year.  We prepare our own Tzedaka boxes.  (Above:  Annika and Sammy, painting.  Below:  Lily joins in.)
      We paint our cans with tempera paints.  Then, we decorate the tops.
     Above:  Becker decides he would prefer a different medium to decorate his can.  He chooses dot paint and chalk.
We are ready to take our Tzedaka cans home! 
G'mar Chatima Tova--May you be inscribed for a healthy and happy New Year!  

Fondly, Morah Susan and Morah India

     .

No comments:

Post a Comment