Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Symmetry in KDH

SYMMETRY  -  YRTEMMYS
Always a subject of interest. There is symmetry in math, science, nature, art and... KDH.

On Monday we took out a mirror and held it up, against the children's noses for them to see mirror images. 

We then gave the children their photographs, actually only a half a photograph.They drew the other half of their faces. 


At circle time we asked the children again, What does symmetrical mean? Amitai answered,"That's when one half is exactly the same as the other half." We took our hands and held them up next to each other. They were symmetrical.
So what are some things that are symmetrical? 
Rikki: A butterfly and the heart on my shirt.   Jules: an open book.    Lily: a paper plate.  Ilan: a rectangle divided down the middle.



Dovid: look at this fish on our area rug and slice it down the middle. 
Elijah: (standing up) I am symmetrical.  Lewis: Our lily pads.  Lily: a pillow.
Tirza: your face.  Chana: This piece of paper in the art center. Mina: my sweatshirt. 

We got an email last night from Shoshi Levin She told us that Rikki informed her that Wednesday's Show and Tell's topic would be symmetry. Rikki took Shoshi's hand, put it across her nose and said, "If you had a mirror I would see the same thing on the other side."

Morah Sara and I take piano lessons together on Monday nights. I sat there last night and was having trouble getting my left hand to hit the correct keys. Finally I looked at my hands, the numbers on the notes and said, "Wow, my hands and the numbers of the fingers are symmetrical. I need to learn as well as our students learn."

We are looking forward to tomorrow's Show and Tell!

Morah Ruth
Morah Sara





No comments:

Post a Comment