Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ice Cream Art!

In Extended Day, we read the book The Ice Cream King by Steve Metzger, illustrated by Julie Downing. The whimsical pages told a story about a boy whose mother takes him for ice cream, and tells him he can get anything he wants. It's all about me, me, me, from the boy's perspective, until he realizes the one thing that's missing from his banana split sundae- someone to share it with!

We made our very own "ice cream cones," mixing equal parts of shaving cream and glue, and then adding a "flavor" with food coloring drops.



And some of the finished pieces:







If you've never done this before, I highly recommend it. When it's dry, it feels so cool! Springy, foamy, and puffy. This is the blog that gave me the idea: http://www.littlerunningteacher.com/experimenting-with-puffy-ice-cream/

(of course, at IJP, your ice cream cone can be upside-down or sideways, you can borrow a scoop of a different color from a friend, and you can make it any flavor your heart desires!)

4 comments:

  1. i love sholom's upside down cone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked him if he wanted me to help him turn it the other way, and he said no! Far be it for me to come between an artist and his vision :-) I love it too.

    ReplyDelete