Friday, September 7, 2012

Is My Plate Full Yet?

There was a saying I used to hear a lot when I first moved to Atlanta in the late 90’s: "my plate is full". My husband and I had one child, expecting another and were running our Chabad Programs. I would think, “ Hmm, my plate doesn't feel full”

My husband and I decided that perhaps we just have larger plates. Others might be referring to their saucers whilst I have a dinner plate in front of me.
Needless to say, the years have gone by and somehow my plate never got full, it just got bigger. Through the years we have laughed about how the plate grew to be the whole table, then a small tub, and at this point my swimming pool is not yet full!

Thankfully, I don't much hear that expression anymore. Perhaps people have wisely traded in their dessert plates for larger ones, so there is always room to help and do more. Why am I thinking about this now? My discussions with my husband, Rabbi Schusterman, were about having time, capacity, patience, wherewithal, and, of course, money to do all the things we need to do. Rabbi Schuster man’s worldview, actually based on some Kabalistic teachings, is that however large your "keilim” or vessels are that is how much you will be able to fill them with. In other words, we are only limited by the size of our plates.

Starting a new school year at IJP, it is evident that this world view spills over into all aspects of our lives. We now have 8 children (Where is the vessel to transport them?) and a growing pre-school. We let go of our plan to tear down building three, which would require years of fighting city hall to rebuild, and instead embraced a plan to renovate it so we don't have to say "our school is full".

IJP now has a big plate,  big Keilim/Vessels, perhaps bigger than it needs in the moment, but with this attitude, it will be ready for the growth that is sure to come. To me this is a big deal. And I am taking a moment to really appreciate this reality of have largeness, expanse and broad vision lying before me. Oh yes, for me it does mean more work--- sigh. But, being able to fulfill your life's work of educating Jewish children and their families is worth an extra large plate. The environment created by the vision of Rabbi Schusterman and our fabulous staff here at IJP, is the benefit of Living Large. Thinking about consistently upgrading our capacity to give, help and cope is what we are all about.

So, no I did not get any new super powers to come back to work; manage my family which includes twin babies, be a wife and mother, and any other jobs that fall on my shoulders (or fall off my shoulders). Like you I find myself in many places at once, and hope I am doing the best, in that moment, where I am. I do it because I feel passionate about it all, I feel like I can make a difference and because my husband showed me and taught me to do it bigger, do it better...

No comments:

Post a Comment